Monday 14 March 2011

Book Fair : Oh yes! The Fair

I havn't blogged at all over the last week really, due to the piece of information I had forgotten about last Monday.

I was reminded of course that the University book fiar was the following Friday, for which I had stated that I would be designing a series of posters as well as a book.  I had not so much as thought about what I was going to be be producing so in some sense, the race was on.

I knew that I wanted to produce work as a reflection of my interestes and the contextual side of my design.  This usually leans towards theoretical stances as well as general chit-chat between designers.  I descided I would produce a series of quotes, consisting both of my thoughts and those of the designers I most revered.  Thes would aim to clarify some ideas and approaches that young and expereinced designers may find useful or make a connection with.

I begun searching through my dissertation notes for quotes that were informative as well as interesting, and from these started designed some posters.  My approach to design has become a much more objective and critial analysis of clarity in communication, through type and print.  The Traditional style that I was designing the posters was slightly illogical, but I felt that people had seen enough ordered sans serif helvitica typography of late.  Therefore I pleased myself by designing in a style that I consider to be my guilty pleasure.

Traditional typography, with its mixture of beautiful typefaces and bold yet eccentric layout has little relevance to comtemporary culture as it immediatly connects back to the 1900s.  This I did not care about though, I know that people love design in the Traditional style and as these prints were to be sold to the public I though 'why the hell not.'

No comments:

Post a Comment