Wednesday 30 March 2011

Atipo and my Context book

So I saw this book and thought it was stunning.  I have a book that has a similar style to it called Foyle's Phalivery.  It is a collection of uncommon words in the english language, but that is another subject.  Working with black, red and white it makes for a powerful but graceful aesthetic.

I have drawn most inspiration from Vignellis Canon, cosidering the grid structure of it and the format.  This is an homage you understand, not a replica...  I had been thinking about using a more traditional typeface, rather than being typically 'Modern' going for either Helvetica, Akkurat or something like Grotesque.  I had thought about Baskerville or even Garamond, but know I think it would be nice to find myself the perfect serif.  Not an easy thing to do in just a few weeks but hay ho.  I want something gentle but crisp, medium contrast but not to flashy.




This book combines beautiful layout, a managable format and graceful binding.  I especially like the red thread.  I had something similar in mind, against the will of Fred who really doesn't want us to be thinking about the final article at thispoint, but of course thats impossible, we are designs...  I have draw up plans for it which I will scan and blog soon, tomorow I rekon.

No comments:

Post a Comment