Wednesday 30 March 2011

Brogen Averill

Brogen Averill is a lot more commercial that the work I usually look at.  However recently I have been thinking about my role in this design world.  The old quote, 'be the change you want to see.' or something like that is a confusing one.  While what I want to see is better design accross the board, for independent businesses as well as large commercial companies I also want to see green fields and more nature.  

I have come to the conclusion that this is the two main desciding and contrasting factors of me.  On one side I like things like this Department Store identity and range, while I also need to address issues such as preservation, conservation and awareness to subjects that provoke and emotional response.  I think I can be both.


This first layout seems to pay homage to the great Karl Gerster and his typo-photo style that dominated catalogues for decades, a lagacy that has barely changed in the more fashionable companies such as this.



I have to quams with type looking sexy for the sake of sexy, as long as the job is done correctly.  This certainly is.  The slightly feminie typeface which is Century Expanded by the looks of it reflects the high-end fashion concept that the department store emmits.





The crisp and clean cut identity makes me very jelaous.  It is so bloody simple, its just a black box with some black type in it.  It looks like Grotesque, but could be any number of typefaces form these shots.  It really impresses me how these ideas are so simple yet effective.  The concept is addressed through a clean cut delivery and a simple excecuton. The Department Store exists as a fairly cold but very modern frame which by the looks of it can be placed anywhere and still look culturally relevant and awesome!




No comments:

Post a Comment