Friday 20 May 2011

Cancún Debate : Blank and White Publication



This is the black and white print proof that I sent off to LULU, there are a few mistakes that need addressing before I send through the colour print.











Firstly ther are a lot of widows. This is because I had to scale up my original design to an A4 document in order to be compatible with LULU's limited format choices.  BEcause of this the type was streched into slightly wider columns, making widows appear, very annoying.  So I will have to go back through the entire document tweaking the type to get those out!



Also I sent the document through in the wrong colour mode.  There are so many little details to address for LULU due to their file managemnet I imagine, just technoological things.  As a result the blacks have all come out grey, I have adjusted the levels slightly here to make them darker, but I assure you it is not perfect.  So for my colour print I will make sure I have the correct colour mode.




On several spreads I had a mysterious pale grey box around some designs, I have no idea why, but I wll try to figure it out.



The image quality of the the front an back cover photos are a bit pixelated, the effective DPI is above 300 to that is not the probem, it must just be LULU's print quality.


All in all a good bind and nicely cropped. Not idea in terms of stock and format.  A suggestion was that I could have kept my original document size and then simply cropped the A4 print down after it was printed. A good idea for future books I make.

No comments:

Post a Comment