Thursday 20 January 2011

Statement of Intent group tutorial evaluation

The group tutorial was very useful, that goes without saying, I am glad that it didn’t confuse me in terms of my own direction. They key point that I took away from it was to be concise, direct and clear about what it is I want to achieve. This covers themes, subjects to research under the umbrella of the themes and then the disciplines they will require in order to realise the production of the briefs.
During the tutorial I simplified my position statement down and re-worded it several times. For example my original position statement became;
Typography, layout and format informed by the design principles, focusing on editorial and publication design.
Though this made clear the disciplines I am going to focus on, it did not explicitly mention an over arching theme, Design diciplines was reffering to a modernist approach to my work. To clarify this further I re-wrote it as;
A modernist approach to publications and design for print, using typography layout and format.
By using the word modernist a clear idea of the style of work I am going to produce is made. Other themes under that umbrella are clarity, simplicity and meaning. Then from these themes subjects can be established. For example hierarchy, white space and movement.
A practical approach to writing the briefs would be as follows. - I am designing a book…what will that entail? It requires content, driven by research into relevant subjects. This will then inform the practical use of skills to address my position statement, with the product reflecting specific areas of my statement of intent.
A little paragraph I wrote out was:
Write exactly what you want to do, then do it. As you do it, be aware of opportunities for other briefs. This is how you clarify to yourself and against the assessment criteria what it is I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment