Thursday 20 January 2011

Barry Tullet Presentation

The Case Room Press

Sorry in advance if anyone wants to read this, because it was all written is hugely condensed note form for the most part.

People: Barry Tullet / Phillipa Wood / Irvine Peacock & Alex Finlay

Case Magazine - Made me think of David Carson's Ray Gun designs through the use of typo-photo and photo collage. Although it was all conceptually led and independently printed it maintained an artistic quality of typography. The latest issue of which was in black and white and looked fantastic.

Tullets use of type writers created some highly engaging typographic resolution. The type not being printed through a computerised system gave it a very human element that is far more emotive for its reader. I thought this would be an interesting lens to approach a poetry brief of mine, where the words are the most important aspect. Unlike in literature and printed text, poetry demands that it is read out loud or at least read with pace and tone inside the readers head.

It brought awareness of how long a brief can drag on if the ambition is well... ambitious. His flatpack book that consisted of 4 books inside one took five years to produce correctly.

- Kurt Scwitter (someone to look into)

I wrote that, 'I like his disregard for the rules to make way for personal expression.' This is a core focus of my dissertation, whether the Postmodern betrayal of the rules made way for more artistic personal expression in graphic design and whether diminished the underlying principle and goal of graphic design, which is essentially communication.

The Last - Phillipa Wood - Really very good!

The corrections, leaving the shape of the poetry creating beautiful white space.

Bible paper 60gms for my poetry brief.
Little Women. Xy - Penguin
The Inferno - Letterpress - Dantes Inferno.

Feathers & Lime poetry - A beautiful constatina book with poetry on one side of the book, with the biographies on the reverse. I would love to use this, if only I didn'y feel so guilty about ripping it off.

I had a fun idea to create a book for those who wear glasses. All the content can only be read if the reader needs glasses but takes them off to read. If you wear glasses you will know what I am talking about. A book that people with good vision cannot read unless they hold it far far away or squint very hard would be a fun stance to take.

Also, Alec Finlay is Barry's friend slash* in house poet. I think I should get hold of him to get some advice on my own poetry briefs and perhaps even coax a poem out of him.

This presentation had such an effect on me that I went as far as to write this in my note book:
I feel as though I am approaching full circle (for the first time). Where I left my foundation diploma with a scrap book / diary publication of my experiences is almost now realised.

What I meant was, I think I must have left my diploma knowing I liked books, but had no knowledge of what graphic design was, or the opportunities it would open up. So now, after learning how to deal with type, layout and format, I can start to put some of me back into my work. But those will be personal briefs, as my objectivity of live works needs improvement.


No comments:

Post a Comment