Wednesday 19 January 2011

Jim Jarmus

Jim Jarmus' portfolio has several examples of work that are similar to and accredit another designer, to which he shares a similar taste in style and ideology. I have not read his ideologies, but it is very clear that he is a person who has taken in what he has learned at read about typography, the grid and hierarchy.

His work is at a stage where his personal projects and his portfolio revolve around this particular style of black and white, repetition of the same typefaces with photography and text dictating the resolution.








He has a clear understanding of how grids affect the movement across a spread and makes bold decisions that would seem odd if they didn't work so dam well!

I really like his design with contextualisation and reference to Massimo Vignelli's Canon, in which he states that as a response to the digitalisation of design and the new abundant selection of typefaces, he wold create work and showcase existing work that used only a select handful of 6 typefaces. While some may see this as being narrow minded and safe, I would go the other way to say it is incredible and very skillful to be able to use just a few typefaces, but allow them to be flexible through a range of projects and even a career.

- I have a selection of my own favourite typefaces, but through cross examination of the effective use of typefaces within existing work, I can make a more supported approach to the refinement of my own typefaces. Currently I have about 10 favourites, I want to have at most 6 like Vignelli. I feel this will be a defining factor in focusing me practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment