Thursday 13 January 2011

Personal Driven Briefs

Although I fully understand the importance of live work and competition briefs, I find myself in the odd position of having actually written myself some briefs which honestly interest me. I know for many people writing personal briefs is simple day to day thing, but for some reason I find it hard to pin down at a very basic level what subjects and themes I want to design for. It is probably due to the fact that through this course I have lost touch with many of the hobbies I once did such as music, film, sport and adventure.

However through this course I have learned a greater appreciation for language, words and emotional content. Themes such as poetry and literate, film quotes and design ideologies have become a core focus of my way of thinking but have not entered my physical design practice. And that bothers me!

As a response to this reason I have written 4 briefs aimed at clarifying and lifting the weight off my chest. Ideally I want to do all of these briefs, meaning they should not take more than 2 weeks each. A couple of them could easily be done in a week if all the source material was gathered progressively.

The Briefs (in short)

1) A typographic investigation of film quotes, with a focus on layout and format.

This can be expanded into a range of genres, all sharing the passion and innovation of the Spaghetti Westerns for example. It will work as a series or a one-off pack, to be targeted at a high-end film loving audience. This could be applied to the context and further expansion of the range into a re-reslease of the films used, coving packaging and an overall inclusion of all design elements.
Range:
- Posters
- Publication
- Look book
- T-shirts

2) A typographic investigation of British landscape poetry, with a focus on layout.

With an emphasis on the delivery of the words, taking into consideration pace and tone. Taking into consideration an appropriate art direction, target classic poetry enthusiasts.
Range:
- Book
- Formal layout in publication (format driven)
- Posters

3) A typographic investigation of design ideologies, with a focus on print.

Based on theories of modernist and postmodernism and an approach to design ideology, aim to inform, clarify and raise awareness of the thought and potentially confusing decisions that are made in the design process. As well as highlighting a contrast of graphic design principles and theory.
Range:
- Screen printed posters
- Publication of researched ideology and theory
- Small scale postcards, made to unify with the publication format.

4) A layout and type based investigation of interesting words, with a focus on communication and information.

Bring back the language that has fallen from common tongue. Research led as well as layout based. Aimed at an high-end intellectual audience with an interest in literature, language and speech.
Range:
- Book
- Posters
- + another element (to be decided)

No comments:

Post a Comment