Thursday 2 June 2011

Rob Walker : Project Evaluation


Throughout my FMP I had not undertaken in a project that was simply identity driven.  I was interested to see if what I had learned throughout my FMP had changed my approach to identity design, as previously I had always felt my identities and logos were weak and basically boring.

My friend Rob Walker, a professional photographer based in St Albans required an identity to reach a higher class of audience and move on from small local projects.  I thought it would be a good idea to set myself a deadline of 3 days to turn around his identity, testing myself to some extent, whether I had the ability to think, design and finish a project in such a small time frame.

I jotted down a few concepts and landed on one after just an hour or so that I knew would work.  From there I began working on his business cards, as that is the medium that most clearly evidences an identity, then expanding across a range, referring to each other as I went to make sure there was continuity of layout and concept.

I had spoken to him several time before starting the project and knew he was looking for further promotional material, so naturally I decided a look book would be the ideal product.  As well as this I proposed a mail out poster as a cheaper solution and also a website that would be brought to life by his own ability with Adobe Flash.

I used Akkurat as the typeface, it has a neutral flexibility and ambiguity to it that suggests clarity but also a modern style.  I proposed 3 full ranges of identity to him, he liked the black and white approach the most, I did too and felt that was the simplest most objective solution.  So I ran it across the range, using his photography to enhance and create a full identity.

I think I have been successful in capturing the documentary approach that he applies to him projects, a social commentary though photography I you will.

I am very happy with the project, both conceptually, aesthetically and also with my own turn around speed. A great end to my FMP.

No comments:

Post a Comment