Wednesday 1 June 2011

Garry Barker : Project Evaluation

The Garry Barker pitch struck me as a good chance to work on a substantial project that would be something a little different to what I had been working on so far this year.  It would have brought a very hand-made and Traditional element to my portfolio and would also have been a good experience in working with a client. However it was not to be, as we did not with the pitch; we being Ben and I.
I chose to work with Ben because of our similar interest in typography and publication design.  I saw his work in the studio and noticed that his approach to typography was different to mine.  It is more image based, and he is more free to let the design direction be a by product of problem solving, rather than my approach which is to narrow my focus instantly to typefaces, layout, format and concept.  Finding a balance between the two in my mind would surely result in a killer combination.

Our main downfall for this pitch was simply not putting aside enough time to really nail it.  Our outcome was good, it certainly addressed the brief, but I knew in my gut that it was not quite there.  The elemental / flexible packaging solution that Garry was looking for was addressed, but the identity side of the pitch was lacking.  We picked up on the fact that Garry likes Traditional design, the letterpress and the use or ornamental decorations.  I too, and Ben also have a slight guilty pleasure for this and thought we would explore the design direction in this way.

My input for this brief was largely in the development of a grid and the layout of the type and also the development of formats, while we worked together to brainstorm packaging solutions to contain the various elements within the pack.  We decided on the second of three days that it would be more beneficial to produce a Photoshopped mock up on boards than to spend all our time making a fully printed proof of our the entire package for the pitch.  Looking back I would say that it is almost always better in cases where there are various elements that a fully printed version would be better so that the client can get a true feel for what they would be getting. But to be honest, at the beginning of the module we were simply not yet up to full speed and would have required a fourth day in order to achieve a fully printed proof.
Saying this, I was impressed with what we came up with, slightly lacking in concept and identity, but technically sound as well as functional.  Looking back, I am glad we did not win the pitch, because it would have taken up a lot of time and I would potentially have not undertaken in the briefs that I did which I have thoroughly enjoyed for the most part.  Also it now seems as though the Garry Barker brief is going to continue on after hand in, which is not something I would have desired.

So in reflection, the pitch came at a great time.  It forced me to work quickly and generate physical and digital mock ups rapidly, great practice for studio life.  It provided me wit the right work ethic to get stuck into my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment