Wednesday 1 June 2011

Cancún Debate : Project Evaluation


(The promotion of a discussion event, aimed at raising awareness and educating people to the wider implications of environmental issues that were discussed in Cancún Mexico in November 2010).

The Cancún discussion event brief was undoubtedly the most useful, enlightening and fulfilling project of my FMP.  From what started out as a request from a member of the debating society at Cambridge University to design a poster for a discussion event, snowballed into a project that has changed the way I think about my role as a graphic designer as well as of course helping me improve several design skills.
It has been plaguing my mind for some time now, wondering exactly where I fit in within the design culture, and I cannot say even now that I have that clearer idea.  But what this project has provided me with is a starting point to examine and explore the implication of being a responsible designer, not just to the client and the audience, but also to myself and the public at large.  If we have the power to deliver a message effectively to society, why not direct it at something I feel passionately about and would want to see improved.  I am talking about the environment mainly and the idea that society, as a whole would be doing more.  Not just turning lights and taps off, but also engaging intellectually and actively in some way that will benefit others.

Initially I tackled the brief in 3 days, producing a typographic poster that I was very happy with. Straight to the portfolio I thought.  However soon I begun thinking that although it was technically and aesthetically sound, it lacked depth and reason.  So I picked it up again and begun re-designing.  (At this stage I was happy to hear that the discussion event at Cambridge Uni had the biggest turn out yet).  Things moved quickly and I found that my development work was simply being thrown aside so that I could run off and test something else. The blog suffered here but that doesn’t really bother me, I would rather have learned what I did than pick up 2%.  (Don’t hold me to that when my grade comes back).
I think I could have developed a better concept to make the intellectuals think, binding the project together on a higher level. (This could be a personal desire to make myself seem clever though). But through my context research, I found time and time again that the most effective way to reach an audience and make them think was not to make them feel stupid or clever, but to simply spell the message out in an interesting and engaging way.  So through the use of interesting formats and folding methods, along with some subtle playing on words and a bold colour scheme I aimed to create an identity for the discussion event as a practice in engaging the audience and ‘evoking interest.’
Writing this now I can see the potential to exploit this idea of engaging an audience, but at the time when you are simply trying to put a project together in a busy studio you can loose yourself in the technicalities of type and layout.  Which leads me on neatly…

The Cancún discussion guide was the main feature of the project, containing all sourced research into the events at Cancún, informing me as I designed.  I used a four-column grid to stop myself from getting carried away with fiddly details that would do nothing but add texture ultimately.  I tried to remember at all times that I was not designing for designers, but for a real audience who could make a difference should I be successful in my job.  Therefore the layout was very accessible, with lots of white space and a logical hierarchy.  I employed the use of rules to sub-section relevant information, and aimed to create balance on each page, conceptually drawing to the idea of a neutral and balanced discussion.
I could talk in lengthy paragraphs about the typeface choice, but I will keep it simple:
Headers: Franchise / Bold sans serif, reminiscent of newspapers, suggesting important global informative news. Almost mono-spaced to ease of scanning.

Body: Georgia / Gentle Serif, intellectual but not sharp like Garamond or Baskerville, suggest intellect and an importance and also a trustworthy sense in the information that is being presented.
The site specific installation piece seen on my boards is much more along the lines of what I should have been doing all along.

Project > Concept > Development > Key deliverables > ENGAGING CONCEPTUAL IDEA(s).  This would have made sure I addressed all aspects of every brief.  I know this now. Hurrah.

So you can see it has been a very helpful project indeed.  I have not mentioned everything because there is so much that can be taken away from everything you do in this bizarre discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment